Get better quality video with Microsoft Edge
When it comes to video, the closer to the hardware, the better. From video hardware acceleration to PlayReady Content Protection and the Protected Media Path, Windows 10 is designed to provide the highest quality, most secure, and most power-efficient video playback available on any version of Windows. Microsoft Edge has been engineered to optimise for and take advantage of these Windows 10 built-in media capabilities, providing the best video experience of any browser on Windows 10 based on our data and testing. So go ahead, binge watch your favourite shows on Microsoft Edge!
Most Power Efficient Video Playback
More about this story can be read here: Get better quality video with Microsoft Edge Read more
How to install Kodi on an Amazon Fire TV Stick: Watch even more on the £35 dongle
Like TV shows and films? Got an Amazon Fire TV Stick? You need to try this step-by-step tutorial
It may cost a tiny £35, but the Amazon Fire TV Stick is easily one of the best streaming dongles around. For under £50 it can make your dumb TV smart, and gives you access to everything from Netflix to Amazon Prime. But there’s more to it than that. The Amazon Fire TV stick is also compatible with Kodi, open-source software that lets users stream even more content from the internet, watch local media or even play games. Sounds good doesn’t it? Here’s how to install Kodi on your Amazon Fire TV Stick.
How to download Kodi to an Amazon Fire TV Stick
- Uploading Kodi to your Fire TV Stick will give you a lot of extra content, as well as the ability to run interesting add-ons – and it only takes a few minutes to set up.
- To start the process, users must first navigate to settings and then select Developer options. To use Kodi, you’ll need to make sure “Apps from Unknown Sources” is turned on.
- Next, you’ll need a file management program. ES File Explorer is one of the best, so search for it in the App-store before downloading it.
- As well as being a great way to manage local files, ES File Explorer also makes it possible to easily download third-party content. Navigate to the left of the program to “Add’ and you’ll be presented with a box to fill in.
- In the text box marked “Path”, you need to enter the following download address for Kodi: http://kodi.tv/download. Then add the link to your favorites.
- Clicking on the link once again will take you to the Kodi download page. The Fire Stick is most common on Android phones, so, after scrolling down to Android, be sure to download the ARM version of the software.
- Once Kodi has been downloaded, click on the file and install it like any other Android app.
- Kodi is now installed on your Fire Stick, but you’ll need go to Settings | Applications | Manage Installed Applications every time you want to use it. For an easier way of launching the open-source software, it’s worth downloading FireStarter, a launcher replacement for the Amazon dongle.
Apple announces iPhone and iPad event for March 21st: ‘Let us loop you in’
Apple has sent out invites for an event on March 21st at its campus. For those of you who want to read into the invite, Apple’s tagline reads “Let us loop you in.”
The company is widely expected to announce a new iPhone, the iPhone SE, that will be the same size as the iPhone 5 but with better specs. It’s reported to have the same processor as the iPhone 6S and an improved 8-megapixel camera, plus Touch ID. Lots of people have been waiting for Apple to release a smaller phone again, and the expected iPhone SE will probably make them all pretty happy.
If you really want to go out on a limb on that “Loop” thing, here are a couple thoughts. The conservative reading is that it’s happening at Apple’s HQ, whose address is of course “One Infinite Loop.” Easy. The speculative read: maybe the iPhone SE will have a spot where you can attach a lanyard loop, just like the iPod Touch once did (Apple removed the loop attachment later on).
It’s also expected to announce a new iPad. Originally expected to just be a direct successor to the iPad Air 2, more recent rumours point to it being called something with the word “Pro” in it — perhaps just iPad Pro. That name might make sense, actually, as it reportedly will support the Apple Pencil and also have a connector for a keyboard accessory.
Rounding out the rumored announcement: some kind of update for the Apple Watch, likely new bands. If you’d like more details on any of the above, we’ve rounded up everything we’re expecting from Apple’s March 21st event right here.
One thing we don’t know is whether or not CEO Tim Cook will address the biggest story about Apple right now: the fight over encryption. These keynotes are Apple’s biggest stage and this one is literally happening on Apple’s home turf, so it would be surprising if Cook didn’t say something. But it’s probably a good guess it won’t be the main focus.